Reading Berks Conference of Churches
- Berks County Jail System contracts with the Reading Berks Conference of Churches to provide chapel staff, religious services and programs.
- RBCC represents approximately 400 Churches in Berks County and works cooperatively with all religious groups to address the needs of the jail community.
- Through this network of churches and religious institutions, RBCC provides a myriad of services to the community, including services to inmates and follow-up services for them upon release to the community.
- All BCJS religious programs serve two purposes:
provide opportunities for the inmates to freely exercise their religion; and
provide opportunities to connect with the civilian community to enable rehabilitation.
- There are approximately 32 different programs or services offered each week to the inmate population and there are aftercare ministries on the "outside."
- The BCJS chapel staff and religious programs are directed by a senior chaplain. Five staff chaplains, an office manager, and approximately 200 volunteers help to administrate the religious programs.
- For information, or to volunteer, you may call the Chaplain at 610-208-4800 x 4375.