Agricultural Security Areas (ASA)

Agricultural Security Areas (ASA)

Act 43 authorizes townships to create Agricultural Security Areas (ASAs) on a voluntary basis. Landowners are encouraged to enroll farmland in an ASA that offers three benefits: 1) Protection from condemnation or eminent domain; 2) Protection from local nuisance ordinances; and 3) Eligibility for the ACE Program.

Landowners with 10 acres or more may voluntarily petition their township to form an ASA. A minimum of 250 acres is needed to establish an ASA and a minimum of 500 acres is needed for that land enrolled in the ASA to be eligible for the ACE Program. Most townships in Berks County with an ASA have more than 500 acres enrolled. An ASA may be increased at any time. Landowners simply need to submit an enrollment form to the township office by certified mail, as it is important that the landowners can verify the date the application was submitted. In addition to the township’s responsibility to respond to enrollment forms, every seven years townships may review lands enrolled in ASA with the option of adding additional land, at the request of the landowners, or withdrawing land previously enrolled. ASA enrollment forms and supporting documentation may be obtained at the Berks County Agricultural Land Preservation Office.


Minimum Requirements For Land To Be Enrolled In ASA

  1. The property must be at least 10 acres in size. It does not have to be adjoining other property enrolled in an Agricultural Security Area.
  2. The property must be viable agricultural land. Cropland, pasture, and woodland can all be included in an Agricultural Security Area.
  3. At least 50% of the land should be in soil capability classes I-IV, as defined by the county soil survey. Options exist if this requirement is not met.
  4. The property must be zoned to permit agricultural uses.

How To Enroll Your Land In An ASA

  1. Complete an agricultural security area application form and attach a copy of your tax map. Application forms and tax maps may be obtained by contacting our office, the Berks County Agricultural Land Preservation Board at (610) 378-1844, or at the township where you reside. Click here for township contact information.
  2. Mail the application to your township office by certified mail with return receipt, provided your township has an Agricultural Security Area.* (* If your land is located in a township without an ASA, please contact our office for additional information and options.)

Township Review

All townships within Berks County that have an ASA have more than 250 acres enrolled.

New parcels of farmland may be added to an established ASA at any time. Note: Many townships have specific enrollment periods for ease in processing.  Please contact the Berks County Department of Agriculture Office or Township to determine if there is an enrollment period.

Townships review enrollment in Agricultural Security Areas every seven years; at which time, parcels may be added or withdrawn from the ASA.


Berks County Townships with Agricultural Security Areas:

  • Albany
  • Amity
  • Bern
  • Bethel
  • Brecknock
  • Caernarvon
  • Centre
  • Colebrookdale
  • District
  • Douglass
  • Greenwich
  • Heidelberg
  • Hereford
  • Jefferson
  • Longswamp
  • Lower Heidelberg
  • Maidencreek
  • Marion
  • Maxatawny
  • North Heidelberg
  • Oley
  • Penn
  • Perry
  • Pike
  • Richmond
  • Robeson
  • Rockland
  • Ruscombmanor
  • South Heidelberg
  • Spring
  • Tilden
  • Tulpehocken
  • Union
  • Upper Bern
  • Upper Tulpehocken
  • Washington
  • Windsor